Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Which Sucks Less #1

Memory Lane Monday is starting to feel like a chore every week and I don't want it to turn into that. I'll save that sort of do-I-have-to?! miserable drudgery for marriage and parenting. In the meantime I want to spice things up a bit for myself and for your enjoyment.

People often say I have nothing but bad things to say about Norway. What these people don't realize is that I have nothing but bad things to say about everything. So they don't know me very well. I have lots of stuff - good and bad - to say about both America and Norway.

So I'm going to start a little segment I like to call Which Sucks Less? which compares the good old US of A with Norway to see which country sucks less, and is worthy of my presence for the next, give or take, 65 years. In practice this will be a segment where I rave about things that are vastly superior in one country over the other.

Which Sucks Less #1 - Hotel Breakfasts

Winner: Norway (and Scandinavia in general)

I have one word for you people - meatballs. Meatballs on a breakfast buffet! I have found my people. I have enjoyed hotel breakfast buffets in Norway, Sweden and Denmark and let me tell you, included in the price of your room is absolute heaven. We're talking quiche, excellent bread, cheese and jam (fabulous trio combo, for my American friends who have never heard of it), and meatballs, people! You wouldn't think they're great breakfast food but take it from somebody who knows food: meatballs for breakfast are absolute heaven.

Here's one small fraction of what you will get on your breakfast buffet if you visit Scandinavia:


And I mean just a fraction. Replace all that fruit with meatballs and sausages. That's a taste of Scandinavia right there. Kjempe digg, if I do say so myself.

One note, though: Norway could do with a lesson in muffin making. Hey, this place ain't perfect. Which is what I hope to illustrate with my new segment. No matter where I live there are ups and there are downs. There are yays and nays. But in the end, one must suck less!

Norway: 1
America: 0

3 comments:

  1. Um, holy crap, that guy in the picture looks EXACTLY like Jeff Brusseau I just realized! Doesn't he, Walhalla folk?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really hotel breakfast's....that's what you rated. Yes - looks like Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are that superior.

    ReplyDelete