Monday, February 15, 2010

Gee Thanks, Uncle Sam

I got a care package from the United States of America:



And by care package I mean "even though you don't live here anymore or earn money here or pay taxes here you have to file taxes here or else" package.

*gulp*

Last year I, like the good expatriate I am, filed my taxes in the U.S. For an income earned (and taxed) entirely in Norway. Yeah, you figure that one out. But, I'm a rule follower, so I bucked up and filed.

But - I flinch just writing this - my bottom line was a negative number. Oy vei. I made less than the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion of $91,400. Yes, folks, I'm sorry to break your illusions but I make less than $90k. However I did pay student loan interest in the U.S., for the sake of ease let's say $500.

Let's do some math:

$0 (income)
minus
$500 (student loan interest paid)
equals
-$500 (bottom line of tax return)

I'm no mathematician or IRS finger breaker but I do know that having a negative bottom line on your tax return is like riding Osama bin Laden's back through a gay pride parade with a basket of Haitian babies wearing this:



So Uncle Sam has tracked me down and has shown me in 300 easy to read pages how to not screw it up this time.

*gulp*

No comments:

Post a Comment